”Life is lived going forward, but understood by looking backwards.”
Søren Aabye Kierkegaard
Why my own site…?
There are many reasons... creating a website is a powerful tool for communication, a unique way to connect with the world, and gives people an idea of who you are. I create this website to share my family's genealogy with other family members. I have used my own name, i.e. firstname-lastname.com as the domain name to build my site; I also used it to move my personal website up the ranks and secure a top search result. I have many subdomains to this site, and run all of it from my own servers here in my home. I have tried to create a professional as well as a family/friendly site.
My search for ancestors and descendants, started with my two (2 ) parents and the surnames of my four (4) grand-parents. My purpose was to create a family history of my family to pass on to future generations. I have tried to take my family's history to the next level, by looking not just at names, dates, and places, but by placing them into a frame of reference by timelines. By placing my ancestors lives into this context, it tells their stories, and provides an oral history of their lives. My Genealogy looks not just at this current generation, but the entire family element of each generation, when, where and how they lived, worked, played, and travelled. Not just their triumphs but their tragedies as well. But most importantly, to show them in context with places and events, the social, economic, and historical world that they lived in.
One other thought...
... another important reason for my own site — Family member's privacy. I have put countless hours of research into our family tree, and I do NOT agree or want it available for anyone to access without my family’s permission, especially for family members still living. And as anyone who works on or in genealogy knows – some of the information that you collect for your tree is never 100% accurate. My family tree is a work-in-progress, a love-in progress, I will continue to work on it to improve it, but it is my family’s property and is not intended to be shared with others without their approval. Finally, I use my own server in my home to maintain control over all data and information. This allows me to maintain some ownership over this information. The family tree data, information, and documents are available for all my family members, and it is up to each of them to decide how the site’s data, information, photos, and documents will be used, copied, or made public.
The top a menu provides access to different sections of my sites. Some are subdomains and others are subsections to this main site. Below I have listed a brief explanation to the various sections of www.BradleyJJohnson.com.
- Genealogy Introduction (Introduction to my genealogy project and some of its history)
- Introduction to the Johnson Family (My family, and the different members that make up a “family,” there are three additional tabs)
- Our Family "DNA" Results (My family’s DNA results, my brother Chris as well as myself have contributed to section, there are three additional tabs to this section. One for Chris and one for myself, the last a summary of our DNA results.)
- Our Family’s Surnames (My grandparents’ last names, where they came from and other information. There are four additional tabs to this section)
- Johnson Family Genealogy is "The Next Generation (TNG) Website," (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 13.0.3, written by Darrin Lythgoe) this is the database” of all my research and is a separate Website) . This site requires a user ID to log in. (You will find a menu above to "Register as a New User")
- Johnson Family Tree (This website is our family tree, this a broad generic site that just combines all my records into a readable tree format)
- Johnson Family Blogs (This is our Family Blog website. These are stories I have heard, been passed on, or found in my research. These are to pass on to future generations, this is a separate Website)
- Guest Book (This is a Guest Book for visitors to sign-in)
- To Register as a New User . (This is for family members to request access to my TNG database.)
- Corrections and Sources Form . (This is to contribute, correct, or update any of my information.)
- About Me … My Story (This is my story, my military service and accomplishments . It contains a current copy of my Resume. This is a separate Website)
I hope you enjoy browsing through my websites. Thank you for taking a moment to check out my newly designed websites.